Phase 2: Remove Body and Begin Repair
Most restorations of fiberglass specials require removing the body from the chassis. This allows both the repair of any damage/issues underneath but also allows you to create a 10-point mounting system that allows the body to be properly supported on the chassis and removal from the chassis too.
- Separate body from chassis
- Create supporting structure in wood to support body when upside down and being repaired.
- Repair underside of body, strengthen as needed and seal with Duratec – 2 part epoxy primer
- Rework or replace floor
- Rework or replace firewall and toe board
- Strengthen door jambs
- Strengthen/repair hood and trunk hinge areas and rain gutter lips
- Repair cracks and stressed/bowed areas on both sides of body
- Repair topside of body
- Determine location of gas filler/cap
- Create dashboard as needed
- Create interior/cockpit panels as needed
Phase 2 Outcome
The body is strengthened and repaired. Final blocking/sanding is not part of this phase.