We’ve been talking about Howard “Dutch” Darrin of late, so why stop now? How ‘bout some of you helping us out with learning more about this neatly designed car. One of the pieces I acquired from the Frank Cornell Woodill Wildfire archives was a neat business proposal showing the scope of what “Woodill Fiber-Glass Body Corporation” could do in the late 1950’s.
Woody Woodill was positioning himself to become a leader in the fiberglass sports car industry and testing new ways of attracting business. The entire proposal is both engaging and professional in every way, and if some of you are interested in reviewing it….let me know and I’ll scan the entire piece and put it out there for all to view.
You know me…. I like to share 🙂
The DKW Flintridge / Woodill Connection:
So….when I was reviewing this piece recently I was fascinated with 3 pictures in it featuring the DKW Flintridge. What other information was inside the booklet (8.5 x 11 in size) concerning this neat sports car? Nothing. But the pictures themselves give a glimpse into a very different history that might have taken place had the proposal “caught fire” (so to speak).
I’ve asked Peter Boyd, a friend of fiberglass, to pencil in his thoughts on DKW for us in a later article. I’m going to do the same with Merrill Powell of Victress – Merrill had meetings with Flintridge about doing a similar car in 1956 that have never been shared before. So…more info is coming on these cars – information never shared before so be on the lookout.
But for now….here are the relevant pages of the “Woodill Proposal” – including the cover page. Have a look and let us know if any of you out there besides Peter Boyd and Merrill Powell can tell us more.
So….based on the pictures, it seemed that Woodill was doing quite a bit more with DKW than was thought before. I hope we have some new info to share with you soon, and I will be posting another article about the DKW Flintridge from “Motor Life” magazine in the near future.
Hope you enjoyed the story, and until next time…
Glass on gang…
* Click on the following link to view all stories on: DKW Flintridge Sports Cars
* New Feature: To post your comments and thoughts about this story, scroll down the page and post your information in the section titled “Leave A Reply.” Your name and e-mail address will be required, but only your name will appear – not your e-mail address.
* Click here to visit of Forgotten Fiberglass Forums and post your thoughts about vintage fiberglass cars.
* Click here to listen to our Podcast led by Todd Ruel of Gone Autos
* Click here to visit our Forgotten Fiberglass Facebook page
* Don’t Forget: We appreciate any and all donations to our Forgotten Fiberglass website. Your donations help defray production costs. To make a donation, look for the “Support Forgotten Fiberglass” box at the bottom right of our website and click on the word “Donate”. All contributions help make “Forgotten Fiberglass” the best it can be.
Click on the Images Below to View Larger Pictures